Websites and web apps may seem almost similar to each other. However, there are a lot of things that set them apart from each other. If you’re not sure which one should you develop, you’re in the right place. With this post, we not only aim to help you understand the difference between a web app and a website but also provide you with insights to decide which one’s right for you based on your needs. Let’s start with a website
𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐈𝐬 𝐀 𝐖𝐞𝐛𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐞?
A website is a group of globally accessible, interlinked web pages which have a single domain name. It can be developed and maintained by an individual, business, or organization. The website aims to serve a variety of purposes. Example: Blogs.
A website is hosted on single or multiple web servers. It is accessible via a network like the Internet or a private local area network via IP address.
Why you need a Website?
- Helps you in branding your business
- Helps you to achieve your business goals
- Allows you to increase your customer support
Disadvantages of Website:
- A website can crash which is not good for anyone. It is the biggest disadvantage for your business
- Contact form published on your website may invite lots of unwanted spam e-mails.
- The information on any website might be unreliable if it is not updated regularly.
𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐈𝐬 𝐀 𝐖𝐞𝐛 𝐀𝐩𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧?
Web Applications came to prominence with the advent of the Software as a Service (SaaS) movement.
Why you need a Web Application?
- Web applications can be used on any platform: Windows, Linux, Mac… as they all support modern browsers.
- Web-Based Apps are Internet-enabled apps that are accessed through the mobile’s web browser. Therefore, you don’t require to download or install them.
- Mobile App store approval is not required in web applications.
- Released at any time and in any form. No need to remind users to update their applications.
Disadvantages of Web Application:
- Security is not guaranteed, so it is vulnerable for unauthorized access.
- The web app may not support multiple browsers with equal precedence.
- The web application is built explicitly for a certain operating system, so it is difficult to discover from the app store.
- Limited scope to access the device’s features.
- A website is a collection of interconnected, globally accessible web pages with a single domain name.
- Any web browser can be used to access a web application, which is software or a program.
- Creating a website can help you brand your company.
- Web applications don’t need to be approved by the app store
- Quality and relevant Web Content are the most important characteristics of a good web site.
- Cloud-hosted and highly scalable are the most vital characteristics of a good web application.